IntelliTrack Inc. is an industry leader with more than 20 years of experience providing the best possible inventory management systems. IntelliTrack specialists install their state of the art software on existing hardware or recommended devices from trusted partners. Either way, they provide a full service solution to companies searching for ways to track and manage diverse inventories.
BRS Relocation Services, Inc. (BRSNY) has more than 25 years of experience providing professional relocation services to organizations of all types and sizes in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Their clients include government agencies, financial and healthcare institutions, media and other businesses.
These moving experts are serious about their motto, ‘Consider it done!’ One phone call is all it takes to start an efficient process, from inspecting the site and surveying the inventory to preparing a quote, signing the contract, labeling, packing, transfer, unpacking and installing.
BRS also provides warehouse storage for furniture and equipment and secure, organized record storage. It might just be for a day or two while new premises are organized, or for months. Some customers need ongoing storage that is readily accessible on a piece by piece basis. The BRS team is prepared to review all customer needs and develop tailor made solutions.
A value added service is providing referrals to professional firms for architectural work, cleaning, electrical work, real estate services, printing and even web design. BRS knows that there are often unexpected pressures that require immediate access to reliable, knowledgeable resources.
As BRS expanded, it became more concerned about two areas that were challenging for its asset management:
- BRS equipment
Moving equipment is expensive and BRS has plenty of it, from more than 10,000 dollies and 5,000 commercial bins to dozens of lockable security bins, Masonite and panel carriers and ramps. Then, there is the consumable inventory such as labels, bubble wrap and protective cardboard.
For years, BRS simply used a manual system that made it difficult to keep track of all the pieces. For example, the full complement of dollies would not be brought back from a job, but no one was quite sure where they were. Workers might not even be sure how many they had. Someone would be dispatched to find the lost ones but was not always successful. Also, management could not count on having accurate, up to date records, especially for the packages of consumables. Both time and money were wasted unnecessarily.
- Customer items in storage
Although many customers simply store their entire shipping load for a few days or months, BRS had other customers such as television studios who needed access to their inventory, often on a regular basis. For example, a television show might have been looking for a particular prop or stage design but they were not really sure where it was stored and BRS did not have easy access to that information. The studio would probably have ended up making, buying or renting a new piece.
In 2013, BRS made the decision to move from manual tracking to a barcode technology system to keep track of their equipment. There would be no more checking paper files and then searching warehouses to find specific items.
The IntelliTrack Solution
In order to find a solution for keeping track of its own inventory, BRS management was steered to IntelliTrack. After reviewing the inventory challenges at BRS, IntelliTrack turned to its Stratus line of products to find just the right barcode technology.
Stratus software is particularly efficient and cost effective as it is web based and provides an inventory management system that:
- Can often be installed on existing equipment eliminating a large capital outlay for new hardware
- Backs up and stores data on a secure cloud server
- Is easily accessible anywhere, anytime for real time information
- Can produce reports on whatever information about his inventory that the client requires
After discussion with BRS about their operations and what they wanted to achieve, the IntelliTrack reps recommended Stratus Inventory Shipping Receiving Picking (ISRP) as the most appropriate software package for managing the company equipment.
Paul May, Operations and Warehouse Manager at BRS, pushed the conversations further and it was decided that IntelliTrack Stratus ISRP would also be good for tracking customer inventory. The system is especially effective for media studios staging their television sets. When they know exactly what item they want but aren’t sure of the location, they can simply input a few keywords and Stratus ISRP tells them where to find it. Other times, customers might want to browse through their inventory for ideas on what would work on a particular set. Once the selection is made, the customers can enter the items they want info the Stratus System; BRS does the picking and delivery.
The process is straightforward:
- BRS prints and affixes a barcode to each item of inventory in storage, indicating whatever information the customer and BRS need, including size, location, color, user and any other pertinent details
- The barcode is then scanned by a mobile device and the captured data is stored in the cloud
- Stratus ISRP supports physical counts, cycle counts and moving inventory
- BRS can retrieve data when needed for any updates, picking and delivering
- BRS can also produce reports for day-to-day monitoring of the operation and for strategic planning
- For studio customers, BRS takes photos of each item and scans them into the system
- Storage customers may access the system to browse certain files in order to identify items they want BRS to pick and deliver for them
- Customers are not identifiable to each other so confidentiality is maintained
BRS has been using IntelliTrack Stratus ISRP since January 2014 and is pleased to report that there are three main areas of positive outcomes:
- Increased efficiency and productivity
- Management and staff have confidence in the accuracy of their physical counts of inventory, making it easier to plan work and deploy resources.
- With accurate, real time data available on Stratus ISRP, BRS staff now know exactly what equipment went out, when and to where. There is no more time lost searching for items such as misplaced dollies. There is also a decrease in worker frustration and blame-laying, resulting in a smoother, more efficient workflow.
- Increased accountability
- Stratus ISRP supports financial accountability by tracking the amount of inventory on hand. For example, a stock level alert will indicate it is time to re-order a supply such as bubble wrap. The flip side is elimination of overstocking which negatively impacts cash flow.
- The data collected on the Stratus ISRP system supports loss and theft prevention, making staff more accountable for company equipment and supplies. Because movement of equipment is noted within the ISRP system, staff no longer have any excuse not to return at the end of the job with all the equipment they signed out.
- Increased Sales
BRS has been able to use IntelliTrack Stratus ISRP as a marketing tool to enhance its usual relocation and storage services:
- The capacity for customers to go online to see photos of stored items is especially attractive to studios looking for props and stage designs. Customers save money when they can use an item they already own.
- Integrated, accurate real time tracking of inventory over multiple sites is another selling point. All the information is available on one site with one access procedure.
- Knowing the precise location of any stored item allows BRS to pick and deliver it more quickly than was possible with the previous manual inventory system.
All these outcomes are easily translated into increased profitability in an already successful business. BRS is saving time and money by knowing exactly where its own and its customer inventories are stored. It is also increasing its sales revenue by billing customers for the time spent accessing the unique online inventory catalog service. BRS is definitely more than a moving company!
BRS has been pleased with the responsive way IntelliTrack has been able to accommodate their special requests. Paul May was quick to say, ‘IntelliTrack tech support people are fantastic’. They were able to customize file formats so a keyword search could find items in different sites or with different shows. They developed a function to ensure confidentiality when there are multiple customers accessing ISRP. The entire program is intuitive, user friendly and easy to understand.
From the BRS perspective, May described his experience with IntelliTrack as working with ‘people who care about what they do’. The partnership with BRS Relocation Services is definitely another IntelliTrack success story.